The second leg of the World Cup and AFC Asian Cup qualifying round game between Sri Lanka and Macau was cancelled by FIFA for what is said to be â€œsecurity concernsâ€.
The match was scheduled to be played on June 11 at the Sugathadasa Stadium.
Macau Football Association had informed FIFA of their decision not to travel to Sri Lanka and FIFA had no option other than to cancel the fixture.
According to an official of the Football Federation of Sri Lanka (FFSL) they had spent a huge amount of money to prepare the team for this clash which had been brought to zero.
This source also revealed that an official from FFSL knew of the decision taken by Macau, but said that if the FFSL had taken the initiative and explained the security measures taken by Sri Lanka to Macau the match would have been played.
Earlier, Macau FA had requested the FFSL, FIFA and AFC to play the match elsewhere.
However, FFSL confirmed that Sri Lanka was safe and that special security plans were put in place but it did not satisfy both FIFA and AFC.
Sri Lanka Football wanted to use this occasion to show the world that Sri Lanka is ready to host an international event and to stand together with all communitie to show solidarity through sports. (KR)