Colombo (News 1st): Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe made a special statement in parliament today (May 7). He noted that in 2014 a number of Sri Lankans had travelled to Syria via Turkey and joined the IS organization. He said the Sri Lankans who joined the IS organization and they were identified as Mohamed Mushid Ishaq, Ahamed Mohamed Aseen, Mohamed Ameen and Mohamed Suheer Mohamed Aroos.
He added that it was reported that Mohamed Ibrahim Sadik Haq who is currently in the custody of the CID had travelled to Syria in 2014 and had received weapons training by the IS. He added that Abdul Latheef Mohamed Jameel who detonated the bomb in Dehiwala had travelled to Turkey in 2014 with the intention of joining IS in Syria.
The premier said when Zahran had travelled to Syria his parents had gone there with him and the intelligence units are conducting a thorough investigation on those who associated with him.
He went onto note;
“The Department deployed 8 teams to investigate attacks and so far the teams have taken in Mohamad Ibrahim Mohamad Naufar who is believed to have been appointed to succeed the leader of the group who perished in the suicide attack at Shangri La Hotel. Yousef Mohamed Ibrahim, Mohamed Ibrahim Hijaz Ahamed, Mohamed Raheem Mohamed and 52 others are in custody so far in connection to the bomb attacks. They are currently being grilled at the CID under the supervision of D.W.R.B. Seneviratne Senior DIG, Criminal Investigations Department.”